AIP Apple-Cinnamon Chicken over Smashed Sweet Potatoes
This one-pan meal from the new resource 30 Minute Meals for the Paleo AIP incorporates ingredients rich in therapeutic phytonutrients, rendering it a free radical-busting antioxidant powerhouse.
• 2 small green apples
• 1/4 purple or red onion
•⅛ cup fresh parsley
• 4 boneless skinless chicken
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• coconut oil
• 2 medium sweet potatoes
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 cup dried cranberries
• meat tenderizer or heavy
• oven safe skillet with lid
(cast iron preferred)
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Slice apples thinly, around ⅛-inch thick. Dice onion. Wash and de-stem parsley.
3. Tenderize chicken thighs by hitting lightly with the back of a heavy spoon or meat tenderizer. Season both sides with salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
4. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
5. Arrange chicken thighs evenly in pan and cook over medium high heat for 4-6 minutes per side, until golden-brown.
6. Meanwhile, poke holes throughout sweet potatoes with a sharp knife. Wrap each sweet potato in paper towel and microwave* for 12 minutes.
7. Take sweet potatoes out of microwave and let them sit for 2-3 minutes to cool.
8. Cut sweet potatoes in half and scoop flesh from skin.
9. Lightly mash potatoes with a fork and mix together with 3 teaspoons coconut oil, set aside.
10. Evenly arrange apple slices and chopped onion over chicken and season with dried cinnamon.
11. Evenly spread dried cranberries over chicken in pan.
12. Cover with a lid and put in oven for 10 minutes to soften apples and bring the dish together.
13. Remove from oven and garnish with parsley. Serve over mashed sweet potatoes.
Want access to more recipes like this?
Check out the new cookbook 30 Minute Meals for the Paleo AIP, which contains 300+ recipes from 41 leading bloggers in the AIP community, all of which can be made in half an hour or less from easily accessible ingredients.