This low fuss, quick-prep, savory dish is chock full of anti-inflammatory benefits due to its inclusion of two of my favorite vegetables super-foods, beets and purple sweet potato.
3 celery stalks, diced
3 large carrots, diced
1 large beet, cooked and diced (or use 3/4 can of beets)
1/2 cup fresh basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon thyme
3/4 cup bone broth or chicken stock
1 teaspoon of garlic powder or 3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
1) Saute chopped celery and carrots in olive oil over medium heat for several minutes.
2) Add chopped, cooked beets along with bone broth along with all the Italian herbs and spices.
3) Simmer on low, uncovered for twenty minutes.
4) Puree in a food processor.
5) Add sea salt to taste
Crispy Chicken with Mashed Purple Sweet Potatoes and Roasted Asparagus:
1 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. onion granules
1 tsp. mustard powder*
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. peppercorns*
3-4 lb. organic or pasture-raised chicken (mine was 3.5 lb)
2 medium sized organic purple sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, and cubed
1 tbsp. extra virgin coconut oil or grass-fed ghee*
1-2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch of large asparagus spears
*omit these ingredients for AIP
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Pat chicken dry, place on a stainless steel baking sheet, and season with spices and lemon juice.
3) Roast in oven for an hour and a half.
4) Twenty minutes before chicken is done, place cubed sweet potatoes in boiling water for 10-15 minutes until fork tender.
5) Toss asparagus in olive oil, season with sea salt, and put in oven for 10-12 minutes.
6) Mash sweet potatoes in food processor with a tablespoon of coconut oil or ghee.
7) Debone the chicken and serve atop Nomato sauce.